Kyle Hendricks quietly one of the best pitchers in baseball

Search

Tokens
http://www.chicitysports.com/2016/07/22/kyle-hendricks-quietly-one-of-the-best-pitchers-in-baseball/[h=1]Kyle Hendricks quietly one of the best pitchers in baseball[/h]Posted by: Joshua Chapman Posted date: July 22, 2016 In: CUBS | comment :
<!--article meta-->
Cn6kymZWAAA_UB4-599x275.jpg
When most people think about the Chicago Cubs, most think about the names: Kris Bryant, Jake Arrieta and Anthony Rizzo. Even the sidekicks or the role players are well known like Jon Lester, Addison Russell, Javier Baez and Dexter Fowler. The list goes on.
Yet nobody really talks about Kyle Hendricks.
Even I said earlier in the year that the Cubs should flip one of their young bats for an established starter, one that could either push Lester back a slot in the rotation or bridge the gap between Lester and John Lackey.
I even suggested something like Jorge Soler for Zack Wheeler, something that I think might still be beneficial for both sides if both players are healthy and performing.
I can admit I was wrong about the rotation, specifically Hendricks.
That’s right, it’s not Arrieta or Lester with the third best ERA in the MLB: it’s Hendricks. And it doesn’t just stop there either.
Best home ERA in Majors this season (min 50 IP)
1.31 Clayton Kershaw
1.36 Kyle Hendricks

1.53 Jose Fernandez
1.61 Jake Arrieta
— Christopher Kamka (@ckamka) July 20, 2016
That home cooking is something else for the righty.
With Arrieta not having a win in about a month, the offense coming and going and the team being just generally young and making young mistakes, the Cubs will take every quality start that they can get.
Hendricks has been a quiet force for the Cubs this season, and hopefully he will continue this as the dog days of the baseball season and the playoffs approach. Heck, he might even make a push for the NL Cy Young Award.

EV Whore
Tokens
Highly underrated young pitcher. Defying can attest I predicted a breakout year for this guy this year.

Never bet against America.
Tokens
I'm like what I'm hearing....so far...

Tuned in with the Angels and the moves they're making this year I feel a bit isolated from everyone else. However, from where I come from and my own personal standpoint I need to to see the Cubs win it all. Can't go into why but it will be emotional.

Banned
Tokens
I'm like what I'm hearing....so far...

Tuned in with the Angels and the moves they're making this year I feel a bit isolated from everyone else. However, from where I come from and my own personal standpoint I need to to see the Cubs win it all. Can't go into why but it will be emotional.

That would be the same for a great deal of us, guys who aren't Cubs Fans. For many it would have to do with how WGN used to show all the games and they were all day games, no lights plus the Long-Suffering then overcoming deal. Guys many Guys relate to that well cuz Life for all but those born into Wealth & Privilege a similar story to the road that The Cubs have walked.

Whats the feeling on The Angels where regards the rest of this season? TT UNders good to consider? Fade Them?

A particular player we might look for to PLAY ON a TOTAL BASES vs. certain pitchers/teams or HITS OVER/UNDER props?

Or something that has yet to enter my mind....like actually not Fade Them?

I grew up with The Angels....Bobby Grich, Don Baylor, Tanana, Nolan Ryan, Bryan Downing behind the plate....Rod Carew.

Bert Campaneris was even on the 1979 Angels which proved to be The Main Groove for us out there when they made The Playoffs for the first time and we slept in the parking lot of The Big A for 2 days to get Playoff Tickets.

Joe Rudi on that roster as well, Wille Davis and even Dickie Thon.

EV Whore
Tokens
i assume you predicted a breakout for all the cubbies this yr lol

No, honestly just Hendrix. Specifically had several convos early in the season about strategy to back Cubs in Hendrix starts cause that's where the value was.

Tokens
That would be the same for a great deal of us, guys who aren't Cubs Fans. For many it would have to do with how WGN used to show all the games and they were all day games, no lights plus the Long-Suffering then overcoming deal. Guys many Guys relate to that well cuz Life for all but those born into Wealth & Privilege a similar story to the road that The Cubs have walked.

Whats the feeling on The Angels where regards the rest of this season? TT UNders good to consider? Fade Them?

A particular player we might look for to PLAY ON a TOTAL BASES vs. certain pitchers/teams or HITS OVER/UNDER props?

Or something that has yet to enter my mind....like actually not Fade Them?

I grew up with The Angels....Bobby Grich, Don Baylor, Tanana, Nolan Ryan, Bryan Downing behind the plate....Rod Carew.

Bert Campaneris was even on the 1979 Angels which proved to be The Main Groove for us out there when they made The Playoffs for the first time and we slept in the parking lot of The Big A for 2 days to get Playoff Tickets.

Joe Rudi on that roster as well, Wille Davis and even Dickie Thon.

I understand your questions.

I'll leave it as that.

MLB Junkie
Tokens
No, honestly just Hendrix. Specifically had several convos early in the season about strategy to back Cubs in Hendrix starts cause that's where the value was.

haha I hear ya, just messin with ya.

I loved him the other day vs Fatty Colon, the line was high but was an easy W

Tokens
Will this be the year?

Things are going to get a bit funky in the next 3 weeks...

Tokens
http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cu...dricks-qa-on-his-emergence-its-a-little-crazy<header class="article-header" style="font: 16px/normal BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px auto 20px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; display: block; white-space: normal; position: relative; z-index: 1000034; max-width: 640px; box-sizing: border-box; widows: 1; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">Kyle Hendricks Q&A on his emergence: 'It's a little crazy'

Sunday, August 7, 2016
Kyle Hendricks Q&A on his emergence: 'It's a little crazy'

By Jesse Rogers

<spacer type="block" width="5" height="1"></spacer>
r109225_576x324_16-9.jpg
[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]"I'm not one of these 6-foot-6 guys like Lackey or Lester," Kyle Hendricks said. "I can walk around pretty easy and not get recognized but it happens. We have some giants on this team. I'm more normal sized I guess."[/FONT]

<tbody>
</tbody>
OAKLAND -- Chicago Cubs starter Kyle Hendricks takes the mound Sunday against the Oakland Athletics in his first start since his second career shutout (first this season) last Monday night against the Miami Marlins. It lowered his ERA to 2.22 -- or 1.5 runs lower than at this time last season.

His numbers would only get worse in August and September of 2015, but just before the end of the season Hendricks found some answers within his mechanics. He carried them over to this season where he's become an emerging star. If his numbers hold he'll be baseball's ERA leader in less than two weeks as injured starter Clayton Kershaw falls out of qualifying for the ERA title because of missed time.

Hendricks has often discussed the work he's put in to take the next step, but what of his lifestyle now that he's becoming a name? He's been the quintessential fly under the radar guy but that's starting to change.

So what's this been like for you? Let's start with interview requests. Are they increasing?

Kyle Hendricks: "Yeah, it's a little crazy. It comes with the territory of putting up numbers I guess. But at the end of the day that's all it is, numbers. You need to take it as all outside stuff. You need to stay within yourself as much as you can. As long as you get your work in the rest is OK."

I think more than one person has asked me when your ESPN Body issue is coming out or when your agent will ask for multi-year, million dollar demands?

KH: (laughing) I'm not quite there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be for the body issue. My personality is not like that. I just enjoy pitching and playing baseball. I enjoy my teammates. All this outside stuff is great but you have to make sure you keep your head on your shoulders."

So if someone says you're an emerging star do you feel it or not really?

KH: "You try not to put words or labels to it or anything like that. Just simple thoughts. I mean you realize what's happening on the outside but that makes it even more important to stay grounded."

What about autographs? Are you hounded more now?

KH: "Not too much of a change there. They're always looking for autographs up here. The change you see there is coming up from the minor leagues. It's a new world up here."

Are you getting recognized more in Chicago?

KH: "A little bit more but I'm pretty good at flying under the radar. My personality and my look is pretty normal I guess you might say. I'm not one of these 6-foot-6 guys like Lackey or Lester. I can walk around pretty easy and not get recognized but it happens. We have some giants on this team. I'm more normal sized I guess."

What about family? More requests for stuff?

KH: "There's a little more. Family is requesting more but that's all good. Anything within the family you have to take care of. A little more asking for tickets. Everyone wants to come to Chicago in the summer. Why not, right?"

Are you paying for less meals in Chicago? Do restaurants pick up the tab because it's "Kyle Hendricks?"

KH: "Not really but you'll go out and get taken care of sometimes. Chicago is a special place. They'll take care of you but no fans are buying me dinner or anything. Not that I want them to."

So overall how is this year different than last year besides, of course, the success you're having on the field?

KH: "My confidence is high. I'm a lot happier than last year. When you're going through struggles like last year it's hard to see the good things. You have to learn from those hard times and enjoy the good stuff because you can lose it in a moment in this game. I know that so I'm trying to keep it the same as much as possible." </header><figure class="article-figure" style="font: 16px/0 BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px -40px 27px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; overflow: hidden; clear: both; word-spacing: 0px; display: block; white-space: normal; position: relative; box-sizing: border-box; widows: 1; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
<source style="box-sizing: border-box;" media="(min-width: 376px)" srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0801%2Fr109225_1296x518_5%2D2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin"><source style="box-sizing: border-box;" media="(max-width: 375px)" srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0801%2Fr109225_1296x518_5%2D2.jpg&w=375&h=150&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin, <a href=" target=" target=" _blank"="" www.therxforum.com="">Clayton Kershaw falls out of qualifying for the ERA title because of missed time.
[/COLOR]
Hendricks has often discussed the work he's put in to take the next step, but what of his lifestyle now that he's becoming a name? He's been the quintessential fly under the radar guy but that's starting to change.
So what's this been like for you? Let's start with interview requests. Are they increasing?
Kyle Hendricks: "Yeah, it's a little crazy. It comes with the territory of putting up numbers I guess. But at the end of the day that's all it is, numbers. You need to take it as all outside stuff. You need to stay within yourself as much as you can. As long as you get your work in the rest is OK."
I think more than one person has asked me when your ESPN Body issue is coming out or when your agent will ask for multi-year, million dollar demands?
KH: (laughing) I'm not quite there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be for the body issue. My personality is not like that. I just enjoy pitching and playing baseball. I enjoy my teammates. All this outside stuff is great but you have to make sure you keep your head on your shoulders."
So if someone says you're an emerging star do you feel it or not really?
KH: "You try not to put words or labels to it or anything like that. Just simple thoughts. I mean you realize what's happening on the outside but that makes it even more important to stay grounded."
What about autographs? Are you hounded more now?
KH: "Not too much of a change there. They're always looking for autographs up here. The change you see there is coming up from the minor leagues. It's a new world up here."
Are you getting recognized more in Chicago?
KH: "A little bit more but I'm pretty good at flying under the radar. My personality and my look is pretty normal I guess you might say. I'm not one of these 6-foot-6 guys like Lackey or Lester. I can walk around pretty easy and not get recognized but it happens. We have some giants on this team. I'm more normal sized I guess."
What about family? More requests for stuff?
KH: "There's a little more. Family is requesting more but that's all good. Anything within the family you have to take care of. A little more asking for tickets. Everyone wants to come to Chicago in the summer. Why not, right?"
Are you paying for less meals in Chicago? Do restaurants pick up the tab because it's "Kyle Hendricks?"
KH: "Not really but you'll go out and get taken care of sometimes. Chicago is a special place. They'll take care of you but no fans are buying me dinner or anything. Not that I want them to."
So overall how is this year different than last year besides, of course, the success you're having on the field?
KH: "My confidence is high. I'm a lot happier than last year. When you're going through struggles like last year it's hard to see the good things. You have to learn from those hard times and enjoy the good stuff because you can lose it in a moment in this game. I know that so I'm trying to keep it the same as much as possible."
[/COLOR]</figure>

Tokens
9-18-16 Hendricks hasn't allowed more than two earned runs in a home start since April 15 against Colorado. In each of his last 21 starts, he has surrendered three or fewer earned runs.

Tokens
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-c...game-7-stage-keeps-usual-even-keeled-approach

[h=1]Kyle Hendricks embraces Game 7 stage, but keeps usual even-keeled approach[/h] By JJ STANKEVITZ November 02, 2016 8:55 AM

CLEVELAND — Kyle Hendricks has already done "it," with "it" being a pressure-packed start opposite his opponent’s ace in the 2016 playoffs. And that one went well.
In Game 6 of the National League Championship Series, Hendricks out-dueled Los Angeles Dodgers star Clayton Kershaw with 7 1/3 innings of shutout, two-hit, facing-the-minimum ball. It was a spectacular showing on a nervy stage at Wrigley Field, which hadn’t seen its team secure a pennant since 1945.
Now, Hendricks will be the one taking the ball for the Cubs as they look to erase a 3-1 deficit and win the franchise’s first World Series title since 1908 on Wednesday night. He’ll face Cleveland Indians ace Corey Kluber, who’s already shut down the Cubs twice in the World Series, but is embracing the moment that has 108 years of history riding on it.

“This is the ultimate dream,” Hendricks said. “You dream of getting to the World Series, winning the World Series. When you're out in your backyard as a kid, playing Little League at the field with your friends, this is the moment you dream about: Game 7, 3-2, two outs, something like that, bottom of the ninth. But it's always Game 7 of the World Series.”
The Cubs will deploy an all-hands-on-deck strategy Wednesday, with ace left-hander Jon Lester available out of the bullpen as well as Game 4 starter John Lackey and even Game 6 starter Jake Arrieta, who threw 102 pitches Tuesday. Hendricks will throw plenty of stressful pitches, which is to say every one of them will have to be perfectly executed in a game that can be reasonably expected to be close.
That means a quality-over-quantity approach will likely be in place for Hendricks’ pitch count, with Lester prepared to make his first relief appearance in nine years (that came in the 2007 American League Championship Series, in which the Indians blew a 3-1 series lead and lost to the Red Sox).

Lester has set a positive example for a young guy like Hendricks — he’s only 26 and, while he led the National League with a 2.13 ERA, is only in his third year in the majors — for how he goes about his business in the playoffs. Though Lester said he doesn't feel the need to say anything extra to Hendricks before Wednesday night: "Hey, it’s Kyle. He doesn’t talk to anybody anyway, so nothing changes.
"I would imagine his emotions are going to be the same as it was a month ago and two months ago and three months ago and back to Opening Day," Lester added. "That’s one thing that impresses me about him is that he stays really level-headed and even-keeled throughout (any) situation.”
Outside of that Game 6 NLCS start, Hendricks’ postseason has been a bit of a mixed bag. He allowed two runs in an injury-shortened start in Game 2 of the National League Division Series against the San Francisco Giants and uncharacteristically struggled with his control (four walks) in the Cubs’ Game 2 loss to Kershaw and the Dodgers in the NLCS. He was knocked around a bit in Game 3 of the World Series by Cleveland, scattering six hits and two walks, but he didn't allow a run in 4 1/3 innings.
Manager Joe Maddon said there’s a subtle key to Hendricks having an “on” night, which he’ll be looking for from the third base dugout Wednesday.

“He's an artist,” Maddon said. “I mean, he could really make pitches. So pitching tomorrow you'll know very quickly where he's at just based on the location.
“I’ve always gone by the takes. If you see the hitter take a pitch that is obviously a strike, and he does not mention anything to the umpire and he knows it's a strike, that tells you how much his ball is moving and how fine it is. When I'm watching from the side and I see that, I know he's going to have a good night.”
With his Wednesday status still uncertain, Hendricks sat in Progressive Field’s interview room and answered questions maybe a little more emphatically than usual but not to a jarring extent. The wasn’t any air of nerves or pressure or anything but the same, usual demeanor Hendricks has on or off the field. Game 7 might be the biggest start he’ll ever make in his career, and he’ll embrace the target that comes with it, but he’s approaching it as a normal game without anything else attached to it.
“When we get there tomorrow, I'm just going to embrace the opportunity like I have the rest of this postseason, honestly,” Hendricks said. “Approach it like any other game, simple thoughts, the same old thing.”

Tokens
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cubbie...kyle-hendricks-keeps-impressing-everyone/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cubbie...kyle-hendricks-keeps-impressing-everyone/amp/

Chicago Cubs: Kyle Hendricks keeps impressing everyone

by Erik Mauro17h ago
Chicago Cubs’ starter Kyle Hendricks goes about his business like every day is the same. And his results? They speak for themselves.

Chicago Cubs‘ fans have grown accustomed to Kyle Hendricks by now. The way he methodically picks apart a lineup with his low velocity and weak contact is a thing of beauty. What is more impeccable is his control. Hendricks rarely walks guys and is consistently able to put the baseball right where he wants. He has shown that in spring training.

So far this Spring, Hendricks has 21 strikeouts, with zero walks. Yes, ZERO. So far Hendricks has made four starts in the spring and pitched only 15 innings, which makes the numbers more impressive. Having been one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball for years now, Hendricks will be the third starter for the Cubs, behind Jon Lester and Yu Darvish.

Tokens
Impressive

The Cubs go with right-hander Kyle Hendricks, who held Miami to a run on four hits over six innings in his first outing of the season last Friday.

It marked Hendricks’ 100th career start and entering play Friday, his career ERA of 2.93 ranks second among active pitchers with at least 75 starts, trailing only Dodgers’ ace Clayton Kershaw and he’s accomplished that despite having a fastball that rare passes 90 MPH mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnorton147
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com